1) Everyday guys will beat sometime guys every day.
-High talent guys that are sometime guys will be a year of frustration.
-Key areas of recruiting: evaluation of talent and evaluation of character.
-Everyday guys go every day, every possession.
-When evaluating a player, watch how they respond in a bad game
2) If you are not tough, you will not win.
-Do not flinch on a loose ball
-Blow up screens
-Do not let one mistake become two
-"Toughness is doing what is right when it is really really hard to do what is right"
3) If you cannot talk it, you cannot execute it
-Players must be able to talk the action
4) Practice for 5 - 10 minutes without talking
-Will drive home the importance of talking real quick
5) If you aren't talking loud enough in practice to be heard in a silent gym, you not be heard in the loudest arena
6) Where are we scoring from? 3 key areas:
-The free throw line should be a number one priority in an offense
-Are you scoring off of rim shots?
- The quality of shot of us vs. them will 90% of the time determine who wins the game
7) How hard are your cuts?
- Be in good enough shape to still be able to hard cut in the last 5
-6 minutes of the game, not just for a half
- Cut with purpose and passion
-Hard cuts wear people down
8) 24/24 last final four teams have shot 32% or higher from the 3pt line
-Who is shooting your 3's? Has a lot to do with what you shoot as a team selection of the 3: are you open? Are you balanced? Are you shooting a bad pass? Quit shooting bad passes and shot percent will rise as a team. Good 3pt shooting teams and good passing have direct correlation.
9) It is not the number of plays you have but the number of plays you can run with perfection.
10) You cannot be a great player if you avoid contact