When working with guards I always keep a few teaching points and skill emphasis:
1. Jab steps create separation.
2. Teach the shot fake when defender is closing out.
3. Kyrie Erving has a great change of speed and get by defenders. Very tight handle.
4. Rip Hamilton had a great change of speed off the ball, he would sprint, stop then sprint again to get open.
5. Creating great cuts off post entry. When possible, throw overhead pass into the post to get defenders hands high then sprint cut for a good chance to get open.
6. Come off screens shoulder to hip of screener.
7 learn to use screener twice on all screens even grabbing the arm of screener.
8. The best guards are the guys who do the little things.
9. Have multi finishers around the around.
10. Never know when there will be a mismatch - develope a post game!